Kamp Kodiak 2017
Wednesday, August 23 to
Monday, August 28, 2017
Welcome to the registration page for Kamp Kodiak 2017. Registration is now open!
Registration is required for all visitors, both for day visits and overnight stays. Campsites fill up fast! Register as soon as you can.
Online Registration will remain open through Sunday, August 20.
Mail-in Registration will remain open for applications postmarked through Monday, August 14.
The Northwest Bears have reserved the Miller River Group Camp for five consecutive nights in the summer of 2017, from the afternoon of Wednesday, August 23 to the morning of Monday, August 28.
The Miller River Group Camp is a tranquil, forested campground on the banks of the Miller River in the Cascade Mountains outside of Skykomish, Washington. This will be our 26th annual Kamp Kodiak, one of the Northwest Bears’ longest-running traditions, with some of our members attending annually since the event’s inception in the early 1990s. New, returning, and existing members from Washington, out of state, or anywhere in the world are welcome to join us for all or any portion of Kamp Kodiak.
Whether it’s sunbathing in the nude by the riverbank or reading in the cool shade of the tall trees, hiking with a small group up to nearby Lake Dorothy or sitting around the campfire visiting with friends old and new, each Kamper gets a chance to create his own paradise. Many of us wouldn’t miss Kamp Kodiak for anything, and we return year after year, some travelling in from out of state, just for another chance to connect with each other in this idyllic natural setting.
- An annual membership in the Northwest Bears is required for all who stay overnight at Kamp Kodiak. The cost for an annual membership is $20. A membership application is incorporated into the online registration form or can be printed and mailed with the mail-in registration form.
- Each person attending Kamp Kodiak must be a man at least 21 years of age.
- The cost for Kamp Kodiak per night is $10 Wednesday, $10 Thursday, $15 Friday, $15 Saturday, $10 Sunday; or else $50 to stay all five nights. A day visit costs the same as an overnight stay.
- The Northwest Bears reserve the entire campground for the group. Within the campground, each party chooses its own campsite after check-in. There are approximately twenty campsites of varying sizes, most of which are shown on this map: Miller River Group Camp Map. Each campsite has a picnic table and a fire pit, most have parking, a couple can handle RVs.
- More details about the campground can be found here: Miller River Group Camp Web Page.
- Earliest check-in on Wednesday is at 2:00 p.m. Latest check-out on Monday will be no later than 2:00 p.m.
- There is no electricity, and there are no permanent shelters or cabins. The campground does include a manually-operated water pump, as well as outhouses with toilet paper.
- Each Kamper is responsible for bringing all his own camping gear and supplies.
- Kampers usually organize some potlucks among themselves.
- We will once again be offering hot shower service this year.
- Dogs are welcome.
- New this year, we are offering a hike to Scenic Hot Springs and an easy walk to Wellington. For hiking, keep in mind that permits are required at most trailhead parking lots.
- We drop in on each others’ campsites throughout the day and evening for socializing.
- Nudity is permitted with exception of meal time in the picnic area.
- CPAP machines are welcome as long as they are running on battery power. Please no overnight generators -- they are too noisy.
- There are additional rules for everyone’s comfort and safety. You will find these rules at the end of the registration form where you will sign the release of liability. They will also be provided in a confirmation packet that will be sent to each registrant.
- We rely on volunteers to help set up Kamp, run activities, and take down Kamp. Specific opportunities are listed in the registration forms. Your participation is greatly appreciated!